Report Housing Discrimination in Pennsylvania

What to Do If You Think You Have Experienced Housing Discrimination

If you believe you have experienced housing discrimination, it is important to maintain records and documentation with names, dates, and details regarding the incident to help prove your case. There are several options for pursuing a housing discrimination complaint against a landlord.

Fair housing complaints can be filed with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development for up to one year from the incident or with the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission for up to 180 days from the incident. In addition, a lawsuit can be filed in federal court for up to two years. If a landlord is found to have discriminated, the victims of that housing discrimination can be awarded out[1]of-pocket costs incurred while obtaining alternative housing and any additional costs associated with that housing. Non-economic damages for humiliation, mental anguish, or other psychological injuries may also be recovered.

If you live in the City of Philadelphia or in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Lehigh, Montgomery, or Northampton Counties in Pennsylvania, you can call the Housing Equality Center for counseling, investigation, and options for enforcement based on the circumstances of your case. Call us at 267-419-8918 or 866-540-FAIR (3247) or email or visit

To file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, call HUD’s Housing Discrimination Hotline at 1-800-669-9777 or visit

To file a complaint with the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission, call 215-560-2496 or visit

More About Fair Housing